Thank you for allowing us to serve you.

We strive to compile the information you need to make the best use of our services. From routing numbers and student loans to credit reports and debit cards, our answers to frequently asked questions cover a wide variety of topics.

What is the email address for the credit union?

To contact EMUCU, please send an email to [email protected]

Where are EMUCU branches located and what are your hours?

Our hours vary by branch. Our website has a complete list of our branch locations and hours.

What is the fax number for the credit union?

EMUCU’s fax number is 734-996-4522.

How can I apply for membership at the Eastern Michigan University Credit Union?

You can apply online, stop by any one of our branch locations or call our Contact Center at 866-923-2385 or 734-487-1033 to apply.

Where are EMUCU headquarters?
EMUCU headquarters is located at 340 E. Huron Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.

How do I change my address on my account?

To change your address, you can stop by any branch location or use your Online Banking account to submit the change of address.

I’m trying to set up an electronic (ACH) withdrawal from my account and am being asked for my routing number and account number. What information should I provided?

You will need the credit union routing number (272476543) and the electronic account number for your account. For checking accounts, the electronic account number is located at the bottom of your checks. For all types of accounts, the electronic account number can found by going to the Account Summary screen in Online Banking, then clicking on the description of the account.

What interest rate do you pay on a certificate?

Interest rates on certificates of deposit vary and are based on the term of the certificate and on the opening balance of the certificate. Our website lists the most current rates.

What is a Certificate?

A Certificate is a savings certificate entitling the bearer to receive interest. Check our Certificates page for more information.

Can I get overdraft protection?

Overdraft protection from your Share Savings is automatically set up when you open your checking account. You also have the option to set up overdraft protection from your EMUCU Visa credit card or a line of credit loan. We also provide a service known as "Courtesy Pay," that you can opt into to cover a check, ACH/electronic transaction or debit card payment. There is a $30 per transaction fee to use this service.

What are the charges for a checking account?
We offer two different types of checking accounts: Basic Checking and Interest Checking. Each comes with different advantages and fees. The fees vary according to the account.

Can I use my debit card outside the United States?


How much am I charged for using my debit card to make a purchase?

There is no charge for making a purchase with your Visa debit card.

Is there a charge for a new Visa debit card?

There is no cost for a new debit card. If you are replacing a debit card the cost is $5.00.

Who do I contact if my debit/credit card is lost or stolen?

Please stop into any one of our branch locations or call our Contact Center at 734-487-1033 or 866-923-2385. If you're calling after normal business hours, the number is 1-800-991-4965

I need help with my budget. What can I do?

We offer a variety of financial education workshops throughout the year to help educate and inform our members about budgeting, the use of credit, preventing identity theft and more. In addition to workshops, we also offer individual sessions with our team of financial counselors who will analyze your income, basic living expenses, and debts. This free review will help you identify your short- and long-term goals and determine the best way to achieve them. Our members can schedule an appointment by calling 734-487-1033 or 800-968-8628, extension 2741.

Do you offer mobile banking?

Yes. You can download a free mobile app for your iPhone or Android device.

Does the credit union offer free bill payment?

Yes. Our Bill Pay service cuts down the time that it takes to pay your bills.

How can I reorder checks?

You can order checks online, by phone or by visiting one of our locations.

What is the routing number of the credit union?

EMUCU's routing number is: 2724-7654-3

What online/electronic services do you offer?

We offer a variety of online services, including: Online Banking, Mobile Banking, Online Bill Pay, eStatements, TellerPhone, Money Transfers and a Currency Converter.

What type of savings accounts do you offer?

EMUCU offers a variety of savings accounts, including: Share Savings, Holiday Savings, Money Market Savings, Certificates and IRAs. For a complete list of savings options, and to learn more about these products, visit the Savings section.

Where are the credit union family Service Center locations?

Locate a family service center in your area.

How do I enroll and log into online banking?

Click the "Enroll" button at the top of the Online Banking page. You will be asked to enter your 6-digit base account number and personal identifying information. After your personal identifying information is verified you will be taken through a series of steps to set up a username, password, security questions, security picture and security phrase. Upon completion of these steps you will have immediate access to online banking.

What is Online Banking and how does it work?

Online Banking is EMUCU's free online banking service. It can be used to check balances, view statements and cleared checks, make transfers, and make EMUCU loan/Visa payments. You can enroll for eStatements which will have an overview your account activities each month.

How do I get my account unlocked?
You will need to contact an EMUCU representative to have online banking or the mobile app unlocked. 

What payment options do I have? Can I make loan payments online, over the phone, or by ATM?

You have the option to make your payments online through your Online Banking account. You can call and have the money transferred through the help of the TellerPhone audio teller or a Contact Center representative. You can authorize a payment from another financial institution through online banking, make a payment through the mail, or at any branch location.

Can the credit union give me a copy of my credit report?

The credit bureau does not allow EMUCU to give out copies of the report. You can, however, request a free copy of your credit report by visiting

Do you offer mortgages?

Yes. We offer a wide range of fixed-rate and variable rate mortgages.

What type of loans do you offer?

EMUCU offers a variety of loans to fit every financial need, including auto loans, mortgages, lines of credit, home equity lines, student loans and our My Choice Loan. Our website offers detailed information on all these loan types.

How can I get a copy of my credit report?

The federal government requires that each of the three national credit-reporting agencies—Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion—gives you a free credit report every year. You can request a free copy of your credit report by visiting Consumers should be aware that there are many other sites that claim to offer “free” credit reports, but they often charge you for another product if you accept the report. To request your credit report by phone, call (877) 322–8228. To request your credit report by mail, write to Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. Do not contact the individual credit-reporting agencies.

Does the credit union offer student loans?

Yes. We offer two types of student loans.

Can EMUCU deduct my monthly loan payment from my account automatically?

Yes. We can set up an automatic transfer from your checking account.

Can my payroll be deposited directly into my credit union accounts?

Yes. If your employer offers Direct Deposit services, simply provide them our routing number (2724-7654-3) and the 10-digit electronic account number (found at the bottom middle of your EMUCU checks).

Do you offer business accounts?

Yes. We offer both business savings and checking accounts.

Do you offer notary services?

Notary service is available at all EMUCU branch locations. Notary service is free for EMUCU members and $10 for non-EMUCU members.

Does the credit union offer wire transfers?
Yes. For members needing assistance, please visit a branch location or call our Contact Center at 734-487-1033 or 866-923-2385 and a Contact Center Specialist will be able to assist you. Members also have the ability to submit a request for a wire transfer through Online Banking

Is my money that I have on deposit at the Eastern Michigan University Credit Union insured?
Your money is insured up to $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an independent agency of the U.S. government. Learn more about the NCUA at

Can I have both a traditional and a Roth IRA?

Yes, you can maintain both types of IRAs at the same time. You can even make contributions to both types of IRAs in the same year. Your contributions to both Roth and traditional IRAs cannot exceed the maximum contribution limit for all IRAs.

How much can I contribute to my Roth IRA?

There are limits on the amount of income one can make during a given year—and the limits change from year to year. Please visit the IRS website for details.

What is a Roth IRA?

A Roth IRA is an individual retirement account created by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Roth IRA accounts are traditionally used as retirement savings accounts. They allow limited contributions to be made throughout the tax year and can be withdrawn within five years after establishing the account provided you are aged 59.5 or older.

Who can contribute to a Roth IRA?

Those who work for a living can contribute to a Roth IRA account. The income must be derived from actual work efforts and compensation in the form of wages, tips, salaries, bonuses and professional fees.

Will I earn interest on my money if I put it into a Roth IRA?

Yes, you will earn interest on the funds that are on deposit at the credit union in your Roth IRA.

What should I do if I think I’ve been a victim of identity theft?

If you feel you have been a victim of identity theft, contact the FTC’s Identity Theft Hotline toll-free at 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338); by mail: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580; or online. Our website contains additional information about identity theft.

What should I do if my Visa is lost or stolen?

If your Visa has been lost or stolen, take the following actions:

  • Call the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax: 1-800-525-6285, Experian: 1-888-397-3742 and Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289) and ask them to immediately place a "fraud alert" on your name and Social Security number. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
  • Notify the SSN national fraud hotline at 1-800-269-0271.
  • Cancel your credit cards. The after-hours number for lost or stolen Visas is 1-800-847-2911. If you are traveling outside of the U.S. and need to report a lost or stolen card, Visa has a complete list of toll-free numbers.
  • File a police report the same day, if at all possible, in the jurisdiction where your wallet was stolen.
  • For further assistance, please contact our Contact Center at 734-487-1033 or 866-923-2385.